In the early 18th century, after there was no danger of Turkish attacks any more, a bridge was built across the strait and the town started to spread on land as well.
The centre of the old part is located on the island, south-east from the bascule bridge. Behind the last row of houses and the church of St. Andrew there is a stony beach, overlooked by woods, and a nice promenade almost 1,000 metres long. The new part of the town was built on land, in the region called Gomilica.
Incredible Dalmatian stone houses and narrow streets, wide squares and widespread Mediterranean vegetation along with a long seafront and many traditional restaurants make Tisno an enjoyable environment.
Tisno is situated partly on mainland and partly on Murter island. What separates them is a small bay, only 38 meters wide. It is the youngest island resort. Connection between land and island is a mechanical bridge that opens twice a day during summer season.Local people stared constructing a bridge right after the breakdown of Republic of Venice but soon after they started, local people from other villages protested against it and building the bridge was once again put off. However, constructing started soon again and the bridge was finally finished and it remains the same as it is today.
The bridge had series of constructions over the years and the last one was done in 1991. It was put in use at August 20th. What needs to be pointed out is that Tisno had municipal government from 1808 until 1962 when Šibenik County took over. But, after Croatia became independed country in 1993, authority has been established again. Having that authority, other villages became a part of Tisno borough until 1997 and 2000 when Pirovac and Murter extracted.